Monday, August 20, 2012

Roasted Power Veggies

I have been feeling a little under the weather today.  My allergies are in full swing and my ears, eyes, throat, sinuses, and teeth are killing me!  I skipped my workout since I was feeling light headed and exhausted.  Since I had a big "snack" (i.e. supper #1; cottage cheese + salad with turkey) at 5pm, I wasn't super hungry for supper but hungry enough after a 45 minute nap to venture into the kitchen. 

When I'm sick, I literally only ever want orange juice and chocolate chip cookies.  I had neither of those in the house so I settled for a big plate of vegetables since they are a good power food and I'd really love to feel better right now. 

And that's some crappy photo quality.  I didn't notice until after I had eaten that I left the polarizer on...in the house...in a dark area of the kitchen. 
I blame the allergies!
Leftover buttercup squash that I cooked on Saturday with a little butter, roasted broccoli, mushrooms, and zucchini, and a side of of Emergen-C (this flavor - Ruby Lemon Honey - is very gross but I powered through!).  If you don't like certain vegetables, I promise that that you will enjoy them if you roast them.  I have never found a vegetable that doesn't taste awesome when prepared this way (except spinach or lettuce I suppose).  I've roasted:  peppers, zucchini/yellow squash, butternut squash, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, kale...it's all good!  Method for roasting any vegetable:

1. Wash and chop vegetables into bite-sized pieces
2. Toss with a small amount of garlic oil (or olive oil + garlic powder)
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
4. Roast at 350F for 10-20 minutes, depending on the vegetable (harder veggies like carrots will take longer than softer veggies like zucchini)

After my power veggie plate + vitamins, I had a bowl of strawberries and whipped cream and a couple of spoonfuls of Chobani Vanilla Chocolate Chunk.  I had never seen this flavor before and hope to never see it again because it is too good and a little high in calories.


Off to lay around for an hour or so and then crash for the night!  Busy week at work and new employee (hah!) orientations and beginning of the school year conferences and meetings start this week.  Can we say networking?  I need to be perky and on top of things so sleep is top priority tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment